It’s time to celebrate National Simultaneous Storytime. Held every year since 2001 and organised by the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA), National Simultaneous Storytime (NSS) encourages everyone in Australia to read the same picture book at the same time.
This year’s event takes place next
Wednesday 22 May at 11 am AEST.
The picture book to be read is
Alpacas with Maracas by Matt Cosgrove.
As outlined on the website, the purpose of the event is to:
- promote the value of reading and literacy,
- promote the value and fun of books,
- promote an Australian writer and publisher,
- promote storytime activities in public libraries and communities around the country,
- and provide opportunities to involve parents, grandparents, the media and others to participate in and enjoy the occasion.
Participating in such an event will help children to see themselves as part of a larger community of readers and understand that reading is not something confined to their classroom but enjoyed by others everywhere.
Everyone can participate — libraries, schools, childcare centres, bookshops families, grandparents, individuals.
Registration for NSS is free and, if you register prior to Monday 20 May, you will receive downloadable material to support your event, including a free downloadable PDF version of the book to use during your NSS event.
Free teaching ideas
In addition to all the great teaching ideas available on the NSS website, other teaching ideas and resources are available from
Continue reading: Are you ready for National Simultaneous Storytime? – readilearn